Monday, August 07, 2006

PINK IS THE NEW... What, exactly?









Given the style I chose for this blog, the excerpt from today's G2 where Hadley berates pink may be a tad... hypocritical, contradictory, in denial? Nevertheless, it was FUNNY.

What age is the cut-off point for pink flip-flops for women?
Marianne Caulder, London

How about six? I cannot tell you how much this female weakness for pink accessories distresses me. "Don't fear!" they cry. "I may have money to buy my own handbags but, really, I'm just a sweet, unthreatening girl at heart, who wishes she could still play with her Apple Blossom My Little Pony!" Pink accessories are very different from the head-to-toe pink approach favoured by those female icons of our day, Paris 'n' Chantelle. That just shrieks, "Sherbet-brained, but possibly in an ironic manner! I am having my cake, yeah baby! And eating it, too! Though obviously not literally, as that would make me fat!"

No, relegating the pink to the accessories is somehow worse because now there is not even the illusion of irony; just the pretence of subtlety, coupled with a decided lack of shame. Show me a woman in a pair of pink kitten-heels and decked with a pink, beaded shawl, and I'll show you a lady with James Blunt on repeat.
I loved Apple Blossom, I must confess.

2 comments:

Anna said...

I like the concept of living "without the illusion of irony." Almost poetic, you know.

pumpkin29 said...

For the guardian fashion pages, it's miraculous. We should all live without irony. In Nebraska. It'll be fun.