Sunday, August 27, 2006

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Stadium...

I hope my father, brother, and extended paternal family will forgive me for this, but it's rare in this life that I have to cling onto an affiliation with Aston Villa in order to have some level of sporting happiness during the weekend. Nevertheless, that is what I have been reduced to, with Spurs losing to a team with ten men at home, Wednesday losing to Dirty Leeds (and getting one of their mere two keepers suspended for three games in the process), and Carlisle, despite having about twenty shots on goal, failing to beat ten man Oldham. In doing so, Villa won two games in a row for the first time in nine months. That's how unlikely this situation is, and yet here we are. Luckily, the Mets won yesterday, so things could be even stranger.

I am getting old. This morning has been spent cleaning the flat, doing the washing, sorting out my wardrobe (hanging things, rearranging drawers, that sort of stuff) and listening to sport (via t'internet, so I'm still technologically friendly rather than phobic) and I have really, really enjoyed it. I have also been planning what soft furnishings etc. are needed for the house.

When did this happen? And when did I give permission for it to happen?

No comments: