Thursday, August 10, 2006

Count To Ten


It's hard to explain some people's level of hatred. I have the things I rant and rave about, but I honestly don't spend my days thinking "you know what? I'd really love to blow up thousands of people". And yet, it seems that nearly happened, due to the efforts of British people. It is genuinely as if these people have grown up in a different country to me; their experience is so different, their perspective of events. I am angry about so many things, so much of the time, ask anyone who's been near me after a couple of beers, but this... I just don't understand it. Killing is not how I fix things. Maybe it's not experience, so much as personality - my instinct is to allow the bile to calm down and then use it to try to change things.

And here, a charming man named Oscar López wants to make sure that there is "not a single foreigner more in our country". He also yesterday, in the Asamblea Legislativa, said that there should be prison sentences and laws to prevent Costa Ricans marrying foreign "indeseables". If you type that into my beloved Word Reference you find that it means undesirable but, in reality, it means a piece of rubbish, trash, garbage, crap. Nice.

What I particularly like about this guy is that he is head (and only representative in parliament) of the Partido Acesibilidad Sin Exclusión - the Party for Accessibility Without Exclusion.

Unless you're foreign, apparently. Then we must exclude you at all costs, never mind how much you contribute to our economy, to our nationhood (Guanacaste, one of the main sources of Tico identity, was Nicaraguan until pretty damned recently - but like Andalucía and the Moors and Gitanos in Spain, we don't want to admit that our image, our culture is from a place we consider ourselves superior to. Oh no), to our livelihood.

Pah. Hence this picture of a pretty beach to try to calm myself down.

3 comments:

Bob said...

I totally agree! Blowing people up is not the answer to anything. One thing that scares me is that one of the suspected bombers converted to Islam only six months ago and, so convincing/persuasive were his experiences, that he was now ready to blow up thousands of people. What's going on?

e. said...

As Orwell would put it: "All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others..." I can´t believe this guy! He´s... blagh... not worth writing about.
I heard on the news there was a shooting at Ticoland... drugdealers tried to mug a couple of mexican lawyers... it was on the news here!
We just had an earthquake!!! It was CRAZY!
Kisses, e.

pumpkin29 said...

Really? About the Mexicans? Unsurprisingly heard very little about that... Tico press doesn't exactly like to talk about this sort of stuff... where did you hear it?

EARTHQUAKE = EXCITING - not really, obviously, but I love the word Terremoto - sounds like some sort of motorbike.