Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Spare a moment...

... for the poor, humble New York firm-based lawyer. As of next year, they will be, at most of the big firms, paid $160,000 base salary. That obviously doesn't include the bonus...

Those poor, poor folks.

Anyway, this is a pledge that if my firm follows, and then offers me a full-time job, and I accept (many ifs there, but you get the idea) I will give that extra cash to charity / debt repayment (on top of my already hefty repayments, not instead of) only. No shoes, nothing. It'll be split equally.

There are some who think that, given the hours and debt law students are in (average graduate of FLS = $98k) that this is fair recompense. On the other hand, given the average NYC family has an income of around $30k, and that $145k (the previous base) puts you in the top 0.36% of the world in the global wealth calculator (160k in the 0.27%), I think it's fair to see this as a windfall that could be spread around some of NYC's more deserving communities. So it'll go to a local charity.

Justice at work, friends.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am I a deserving community organisation?

pumpkin29 said...

No.

Anonymous said...

How about me? I work for the good of intellectual well being.

Seriously now, this is an honorable pledge if there ever was one. You are making me feel like the greediest piece of slime that every slobbered the earth.

pumpkin29 said...

No. No. Just feeling that I really don't deserve that much cash, if it is coming my way, and I'm pretty happy with that. If I can't give that money to charity, when will I? And I'm keeping the rest. Oh yes. I'm keeping the rest.