Friday, January 26, 2007

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-...

...-riday and -reezing.

Today is a GLORIOUS day if you look out the window at South Ferry. The sky is blue, the sun is shining - it's one of those days that should make you feel glad to be alive, and want to share the joy with someone else. The only slight problem is that it is, with wind chill, -6F (which, for my European friends, is -20C). Therefore, to face the outside world I am wearing: socks; fat face socks (which are the warmest, softest and nicest socks in the world); boots; silk long johns (thanks Mum!); trousers; thermal t-shirt (Carolyn, thanks to you!); woollen jumper; second woollen jumper; wool coat; silk thermal glove liners (again, Mum you rock); and, cashmere-lined leather gloves (my favourite Christmas present from my beloved).

However, this weather is the type of weather that brings out the midwestern/upstater in EVERY New Yorker.

"This is nothing - I used to live in Iowa/Illinois/Indiana and that was cold. This is NOTHING."

"I went to school in Buffalo/Rochester/Des Moines and school/work/outdoor swimming was NEVER cancelled for snow."

"It was ILLEGAL for us to leave the house some days because it was so cold."

You get the idea. I personally have never lived anywhere this cold and don't intend to do so for the rest of my life. Incidentally, it's currently 51F in Barcelona, 81F in San Jose and even 41F in London. Everywhere else I have lived understands CIVILISED temperatures.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really don't think it's necessary to know the temp in Barcelona. Are you trying to kill us? I agree completely w everything you have just said. I really hate it when people say "Cold? This is mild winter where I come from." I always think to myself: maybe that's why you're so fucking weird!