Monday, January 29, 2007

Redux

Last night the rather extraordinarily fabulous Helen Mirren won yet another award for The Queen. I adore Helen Mirren, and also rate Stephen Frears highly... yet have absolutely no desire whatsoever to see that movie. It's hard to explain to non-Brits why exactly I would have no interest in it... but then a friend realised that, having lived through 9/11, she had no motivation or desire to see any of the movies about it, and sort of got my point. I think. Anyway, it will be yet another year when I won't have seen all the Oscar-nominated movies. However, I am going to try to view in the next three weeks the following which are also up for Mr O: Volver, Pan's Labyrinth, and Children of Men - who can, after all, resist Clive Owen?

I also think I was unnecessarily harsh on Regular Lovers yesterday. It was not a stunning movie, or one I hugely enjoyed, but it has been thought-provoking, particularly regarding my capacity to enjoy non-conventional, loose narrative film-making. It again is one of those questions of admiration and respect for artistic form and technique, versus emotional reaction and enjoyment, or otherwise. I think it's also important to be taken out of your comfort zone when it comes to viewing, and that is definitely what the film did for me.

I have fallen horribly behind with my reading of non-school words... must catch up, having been at a lovely brunch yesterday which made me realise how horribly ill-read I am. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

No comments: