Monday, July 03, 2006

Decepcionada

There are worse places to pass the hurt hours after losing a Mundial Quarter Final than in Manuel Antonio. However, to then hurt yourself by getting burned and covered in insect bites seems foolish, and yet, that's precisely what I did. However, I whiled away the hours well enough, reading a glorious book by Anne Michaels, which I really need to read again to fully comprehend, but Fugitive Pieces my friends, is what you need to read - beautiful, compelling (I wolfed it down), touching - or pretentious drivel if you read the Amazon reviews!

I also had a chance to reflect on coincidence and how much joy it brings into our lives. For example, finding a Dorothy L Sayers book I want to read on Amazon - expected, extremely frustrating if I don't. Finding the one and only DLS you have left to read (and were thinking of asking your other half to bring next week when he visits) in a small bookshop on the Costa Rican Pacific coast when you'd resigned yourself to choosing whatever wasn't Dannielle Steele, Jackie Collins or Robert Ludlum and it being the ONLY DLS in the bookshop and a mere $1.50? Utterly priceless. It made me extremely happy. However, the bus home not having lights that worked in the darkness so I could only read it when the bus stopped and the driver deigned to turn the lights on = unhappy Grace. However, I have devoured it today, and am nearly finished already. Definitely going to re-read them all when I get home.

And by the way, this view is that from the path between my cabinas towards the beach - a mere 100m away.

No comments: