Tuesday, July 11, 2006

...and I think I like it


Strange reference there to 1990s chocolate adverts in Britain. Sorry. Reason = T minus 10 hours. YIKES. YIKES. Now, what will happen this evening - when I arrive at the airport - is one of two things. I will either have decided to get there for when the flight arrives, meaning that he'll take three hours to come through customs. OR what will happen is that I will decide to take the chance that he'll take an hour to get through everything which means he'll be waiting for me on his own for ages, poor soul. This is what always happens to me when I go to meet someone at the airport, which, having lived abroad for nearly three whole years now, is something that I do often, unfortunately.

I know a lot of people like airports, but for me they are only just losing their air of misery due to the year M and I spent commuting between la manzana grande and BCN. I'm more with the Douglas Adams theory which is that they are designed to suck your soul out and be the most depressing things on earth.

And more with my obsession with the big gorgeous Frenchman. This is genius.

Zinner the sinner?

John Hegley
Tuesday July 11, 2006

Guardian

The world, his No 1 fan:
Zinedine Zidane.

The game

dancer's shame.

Why, why, did he lose his head?

Abuse his head?

What was said

that made him turn so quickly on his

quarry?

The king of ball control

who lost his self-control,

can the man -

and should Zidane -

say sorry?

Did Materazzi call him Baldy?

Or say, "I'm going to poke you in the

eye

with a French stick?"

Je ne le crois pas.

Le roi

comme ci?

Pourquoi?

L'Italien, qu'est-ce qu'il a dit à Zidane?

Soudainement, le roi n'est pas chouette.

Il est fou - mal à la tête.

Une bête noire.

C'est mauvais pour la France.

Absence

de sens.

Je commence à croire

qu'il doit dire "pardonnez- moi" avant son "au revoir".

· John Hegley will be performing, mainly in English, at the Pleasance Theatre during the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, August 8-28.

Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited 2006

No comments: