Monday, July 03, 2006

There's a Creature in the Sky

So, the point of Manuel Antonio is that there is beach, and there is forest with animals. Not that the enormously fat German man moaning yesterday as I strode around the forest saw any ("Not a single monkey!"). Admittedly, at first I felt foolish, given my Lonely Planet told me it was "dificil para no verlos [los monos - monkeys]". However, I had arrived at just after seven when the park opened, and having waded through the small lagoon where, apparently, "Aquí habitan los cocodrilos" (Cocodrilos being my favourite word in Spanish, so had to mention that, and it makes me seem brave). Because it was early, after a bit of meandering I noticed the gentleman in front of me stop and look up. And there, lo and behold, jumping around, was a white-headed capuchin.
This is it. Sort of. Admittedly, you can only really see the demon eyes looking out at you, but that's because, and I swear this is true, the cheeky monkey actually would look at you, see you raising the camera and turn with his back to you. So this was about as good as it gets.
Or this, where you can see its outline but obviously it's blurred. There goes my nomination for Wildlife Photographer of the Year - I imagine I'll be overlooked yet again.
There were tons and tons and tons of crabs - you got used to the scuttling away as you walked along and the very un-camouflage like bright orange of their legs. It was cool.

No comments: