Monday, July 03, 2006

Godzilla - Part II

The best bit of my weekend, bar none - not even the hazelnut ice cream at Escalófrio, which is my favourite flavour in the whole world and is far too rare - was the last piece of wildlife I saw before leaving the park. A big fat German man was bitching (in English) about having not seen even one monkey (I had already encountered the Capuchin and heard the extraordinary screeching of the Howler Monkey - genuinely amazing, I thought it was some kind of pig in pain, but maybe that's because I saw Deliverance recently). I was tramping off, more trying to sweat out the patacones than concentrate on the wildlife, as I'd been up since five and was worried about getting back in time to shower and checkout before midday. So stomping about, I got to the beach and tripped over a log and then stopped dead having almost tripped over... well, see for yourself.


He was beautiful and didn't even move a muscle at my thundering approach. Just standing there, sunning himself on the beach. I always think lizards are male - don't ask me why. Glorious. I was so, so, so happy. Seriously worth the burn and the insect bites for that moment. Just look at him. Fabulous.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is not only the hansomest, but also the most well photographed beast that I have ever seen.

Well done all round

pumpkin29 said...

why thank you.