Monday, July 03, 2006

WARNING: Ridiculous number of posts below


I went away for the weekend and hence have a mountain of posts below, due to excessive photo-taking and so on. Sorry. This is the view from my cabina in Manuel Antonio.

Anyway, not been back long and yet still things to make me angry/take notice in the news. So here are some things that caught my attention enough to distract me from itching the MILLIONS of bites that I hadn't realised I'd got until last night in bed. Not a pretty sight.

Terrible, utterly shameless and tasteless segue, but this was also a horrible thing to see. Rape as a weapon of war is disgusting whoever commits it, but again, made worse when you have to see it in light of these "liberating" forces, freeing people from tyrants. While this man may not represent the values of the USA, it is hard to separate the actions of the forces there from the rhetoric of their President, the Commander-in-Chief. Rights or wrongs of the war there, this is beyond contempt.

This, however, is fabulous. I have been flashed, at a bus stop in Lewisham, and groped on a train, and I think her description of the powerlessness and how it makes you feel as if you are not welcome in the everyday world is extremely apt. It is horrific. However, turning round and screaming at the horrible man who touched my arse made me feel better. Humiliation IS the keyword here - how it makes you feel and what you need to dish out to take back your power. A girl I knew at school got groped while standing waiting for the last train home to depart. As she was 14 at the time, but looked considerably older, and had huge guts, she and her friends chased him through the carriages screaming "you fucking pervert, I'm still at school, I'm a child, I'm 14, what the fucking hell is wrong with you?" and suchlike. That man did not stay on the train. I hope he got fleeced by a cabbie on his way home. Fucker.

This was unsurprising, but disappointing. Le Pen is just a turd, there is not much more to it. But I loved Lilian Thuram's very dignified response, especially when you consider that his name is Lilian, which has always tickled me. Therefore, the goal on Saturday could not be more perfect - created by Zizou, scored by Henry. I know who I'm supporting from now on - Allez Les Blues!

No comments: