Monday, June 26, 2006

Salchichas


I never eat well after swimming. When I was a very little girl - and by this I mean definitely under four, which I can calculate due to no little brother to share my Dad with - I used to go every Sunday to Eltham Swimming Pools with the aforementioned father. After that, we would return home where I would proceed to eat a fried breakfast. I don't remember anything other than fried bread, which I adored. I went through a period of about 15 years of being off it until a recent stay in a B&B in Dorset where I was able to recall just why I loved it so.

Later on, we used to go swimming on Saturday mornings, very early - Mum, me, the Bro and the usual family friends - where I would swim my heart out, thinking up millions of games, most of which involving me retrieving something from the pool floor or throwing myself in the water to splash as many people as possible, then stuff my face with sausage sandwiches. I presume this tradition is why the only time I vaguely miss meat is after swimming. There's a part of me that just wants to scoff bacon or sausage sarnies with tons of ketchup.

All this led to this morning my consumption, after swimming, of the Tico version of Cheese on Toast. BAD GRACE - and not good cheese on toast, either. However, I did polish off a plate of papaya, watermelon and pineapple, too. What is it about fresh pineapple? The smell is utterly glorious, and the taste - it's hard to mess that up, no matter how cheap your pineapple is, whereas rubbish papaya sin lima can be remarkably tasteless, lacking that creamy loveliness, and watermelon too... This weekend I also discovered the Tico equivalent of butterscotch angel delight, went out for beers - at last! - and that was about it.

You were also saved from the mother of all unfocused rants - ill-written and awful - by the technology failing me on Friday afternoon. Needless to say, it may return, given that it's about attitudes towards women that seem particularly prevalent here, but will be enhanced by what I learnt while out on Saturday night and people's attitudes in general towards women, love and marriage. But I need to work myself up to that one.

No comments: