Wednesday, June 21, 2006

¿El Delfín o La Morsa?

I have always loved swimming. It is one of the true joys in life, being able to take yourself out of your normal, gravity-ridden self and just splash and float and cut through the blue. What has surprised me here is when you say you want to go swimming, how many people ask "¿Sabe como nadar?" ("Do you know how to swim?"). To me, that's incredible, particularly in a country with two amazing coasts, both just three hours away from the capital. Plus, I feel that people really, genuinely miss out when they don't know how to or don't like swimming, particularly in the ocean. I find the expanse entirely liberating, loving just drifting along, occasionally frantically stroking my way along the shore, then again allowing myself to float, enjoying the burn of the sun and the salt on my face.

I have been warned by my hosts against going to the beach on my own, and particularly to avoid swimming. Given that it's very good surf coast, I can probably work that one out on my own. However, given that every time I leave the house they tell me I need to be careful crossing the road, maybe they are indeed overly cautious. Perhaps I shouldn't have told them the accident story. Here, accidents are remarkably common - the taxista on the way to the office on the first day was paralysed in a car accident where one of his friends died. Clearly not enough gun crime here, because these atropellados make the news all the time.

Anyway, this has all been prompted by my $2 swim this morning. Two flaming dollars. However, as there are fewer (i.e. NO) cockroaches in the water, I consider that money well spent, unlike at the pool on 58th between 10th and 11th in NYC. Name and shame, that´s what I say. However, of course, it took two attempts to get there this morning as I did the classic it's-the-first-thing-I'll-do-today-so-I'll-wear-my-swimming-cossie-there-but-then-forget-that-I'll-need-pants thing. Oops. Luckily, remembered in time.

It also reminds me of a serious regret: that I never swam in the olympic outdoor pool in BCN. What was I thinking? I also missed out on Hampstead Ponds in the scorching heat when I was at home, which was a ridiculous omission on my part. Next time, dear reader, that I am in London and it's 30ºC, I shall go. Which will probably be in about 10 years' time. If I'm lucky. So if you are in London Town and it is warm, please please go. It is a glorious glorious thing.

BREAKING NEWS: I've learned how to actually use an apostrophe, not just the thingy to make accents, así. HUZZAH. My life may have changed for the better, friends.

No comments: