Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Sunday Selector: Terminally Tardy Tuesday Version

This is unsurprising, but I was busy trying to get everything ready for a guitar hero monster session at our place on Sunday featuring the talents (ahem) of the mighty Bootleg and our groupies.

It was... interesting. Anyway, no Sunday Selector or, indeed, Monday - farting around trying to get work done and get house ready for our disappearing for two weeks, essentially - DC for work, CA for more work but in a sunnier setting (if all that stupid rain disappears).

I also managed to almost complete my reinstalling of my iTunes library with all the stuff I thought I'd deleted but somehow managed to find. It's taken forever, but... there is still stuff missing, but that's from my pod, rather than the library, and I've also now got to delete the duplicates (have 2 or 3 copies of most songs, don't ask me how). So this Genius is, hopefully, a more complete genius. And in honour of finally getting back some of the music I've been missing dreadfully, this starts with Slow by Kylie Minogue.
  1. Justify My Love - Madonna. Genuinely one of my favourite Madonna songs ever. I know it's her "trying to be sexy," but in this case it really works - she looks spectacular in the video, which can't be ignored when you hear the song, but I love the song as well. The beat (sampled from Public Enemy) works, and I just love the line "You put this in me. So now what? So now what?"
  2. Number 1 - Goldfrapp. I adore her voice, and I love the album this is from (Supernature), but this is not my favourite from the album, although I like the reverbing bass, almost like a too loud sound in a club. I just think the melody of the synth over the top is not great. I do like their more folksy stuff, but this throbbing disco is also a lot of fun.
  3. Erase/Rewind - The Cardigans. My favourite song by them full stop, I reckon. Her voice is spectacular - I think I failed to appreciate it at the time they were big because it seemed bland and too easy for her, but now I just realise how pretty, nuanced and remarkably perfect it is.
  4. Girls & Boys - Blur. Oh SWEET this is the live version - which comes from the Mile End gig, which I attended. Many, many years ago. I was gutted to not be able to go to the reunion gigs in the UK this summer, but actually I now think it's a good idea not to - just to keep perfect the memories like this.
  5. I'm a Slave 4 U - Britney Spears. This is the Neptunes at the height of their powers - using the best aspects of Britney's voice (yes, there are some), and all the typical Neptunes touches that are genius.
  6. Lovelight - Robbie Williams (Soulwax Ravelight Dub). Yeah, there's not much Robbie in this. Which is probably a good thing.
  7. The Real Thing - Gwen Stefani. Meh. There are a couple of good songs on this album, and even then I prefer the Franz Ferdinand cover of What You Waiting For?
  8. Come into My World - Kylie. I didn't like this when it first came out, but I absolutely love it now. The woman is a genius. I don't know what happened, but my inner pop goddess appears to have emerged...
  9. If - Janet Jackson. I love this. Janet Jackson singing about fantasizing and masturbating over some unnamed, unobtainable person. Brilliant.
  10. Listen Up! - The Gossip. This was the first Gossip song I ever heard, and I utterly fell in love with her voice. But what drew me in are the basics - bass, cowbell, and not much more. They just let the beat and Beth's voice steal the show. It's still my favourite on this album.

No comments: