Sunday, February 01, 2009

Sunday Selection: It's Just This One Ting...

Just got Ting Tings tickets for March, so in honour of that, a Genius playlist from That's Not My Name... It's silly, but it has a feeling of the Kills about it, and we bopped around to this a lot in South Africa last year.
  1. Black & Gold - Sam Sparro. Goddamn I still love this song. I've been playing it tons for about a year, now (my 13th most played track of the past twelve months, according to last.fm) and I still think it's utterly gorgeous every time.
  2. Warwick Avenue - Duffy. Of the rash of the Wino-clones, she is my favourite because I think her voice is the most interesting, with her Dusty Springfield-esque tones. Live, she is not - barely moves. But lovely voice. This album was the biggest-selling last year in Britain. Weird - I mean, it's fine, I like it, but in comparison to the Wino, not really up there. Mercy, of course, is genius.
  3. Singin' in the Rain - Mint Royale. I hate this. Hate this. What is the point? It's such a gorgeous original, and I loathed the stupid car advert for which this was used, when they piss around with Gene Kelly. I love that film so much, and this is just pointless.
  4. Wow - Kylie. I really do love me some Kylie. #15 on my listens for the last 12 months, bizarrely. Above Springsteen, Daft Punk, the Pixies... allsorts. Weird.
  5. Ready for the Floor - Hot Chip (Too Many DJs remix). I know everyone loves hot chip, and I know that the Little Boots stuff I really love is produced by one of them. I have friends who yell at me about this. I do like the music, the production, it's just that guy's voice that irritates the crap out of me. I can't help it. Yet it's not that different from your man from underworld, Karl Hyde, but it's just so annoying.
  6. Fluorescent Adolescent - Arctic Monkeys. This is TOH's favourite from the album, and it's one of mine too. I too think he has a remarkable gift for lyrics - seemingly very youthful in terms of energy, wit, yet sort of old before his time, jaded. It's an odd mix, but his voice really does lend itself to that mixture.
  7. Electric Feel - MGMT. This is by far my favourite from that album. It's a grower, definitely - I didn't get the fuss at first, but it's increasingly growing on me. Like the Fleet Foxes album. Bon Iver I like, but remain still rather untouched by it.
  8. Please Don't Stop the Music - Rihanna. I think Genius is mad - but indeed, has a touch of genius to put this all together. I do love Rihanna, and sampling one of my favourite Jacko songs of all time - Wanna Be Startin' Something - works absolutely brilliantly here, just as in that Mint Royale song it seems gimmicky and unnecessary.
  9. Naive - The Kooks. They seem to engender a tremendous amount of hatred in British music critic circles, but I quite like this song. I just like that line "I know she knows that I'm not fond of asking."
  10. Fans - Kings of Leon. I went through a period of really loving them - around Aha Shake Heartbreak - but haven't really listened to them for a long time. A lot of my friends are nuts for them, so I feel like I'm missing out on something. I should get back into them.

No comments: