Saturday, September 16, 2006

Holla!

Thanks to all the suggestions for dealing with Derek/Mookey's crazy ex - I believe the most common has been some variant on water bombs/hoses/glasses of water. Luckily that didn't have to be addressed last night, but I'll be prepared from now on.

I have realised that I haven't yet shared my own hollaback-style experience from a week or so ago. In fact, just over a week ago when I went to collect my parcels from Fedex. I was wearing a skirt suit, which was stupid because they always ride up - seriously, if you know how to prevent this, I'd love to hear from you - and I went to collect the beautiful beautiful machines. On the way down the street, got the obligatory whistles/unintelligible comments from males lazing around doing nothing. Then, on the way back, carrying more boxes and weight than really sensible/possible, I got more and more. It was in Spanish - because it was safe? That I wouldn't understand? Just general stuff, but I was tired, hot, grumpy, and wondering how on earth to get home with things that were (as it felt at the time) the same bodyweight as me. And I think that's what really made me annoyed - I was clearly struggling and clearly not supposed to understand the general comments on my legs/tits/arse. So, I turned round, looked at them, and told them to, well, go and have intercourse with themselves. In Spanish, obviously. And you know what? IT WORKED. I am normally a fan of non-aggressive solutions, but when people are being rude to you in a language you're not supposed to understand, sometimes the shock factor is helpful.

Yay me.

Wish I'd taken a photo, but as my arms were full, I'm sure you'll understand.

1 comment:

Bob said...

I would love to have seen the look on their layabout faces. You go, girl!