Sunday, September 10, 2006

Culcha - September 2006

This week I have...

Seen Little Miss Sunshine which, despite the protestations of the gentleman behind me FOUR TIMES IN A MINUTE that it was "just one step too contrived for me" (and as JKS pointed out, surely that's four steps?), was utterly enchanting. Sweet, funny, and everyone in it - absolutely everyone - was wonderful. The girl, Olive, was a delight, Steve Carrell was fabulous, Alan Arkin is always class, Greg Kinnear is becoming one of my favourite actors (particularly after The Matador which I urge you all to see - here, I've even found the Netflix link for you). And Toni Collette is just wonderful, always. Not that I'm going to see that horrific looking thing with Cameron Diaz, but still.

I am reading Waiting for Snow in Havana, a memoir of an extremely privileged childhood in Cuba before the Revolution and the author being sent to the US. I am enjoying it thus far, but I must confess, I was (and remain) wary. It's for bookclub, and I didn't want to find myself in the tricky position that Cuba always seems to provoke for me. With the lefty liberals at home in Britain who seem to think it's paradise, a wondrously brave country for defying the US, I find myself pointing out that it is a dictatorship and the whole putting gay people in prison business and censorship/limited access to the internet is not something I support. Then, when I talk to people here, I find myself compelled to point out that at least everyone in that country can read and have access to medical attention, plus they provide a great bulk of the doctors in Africa, which is a vital part of the health system there. It's thorny, make no mistake.

I am listening to, mostly, No More Shall We Part, which I have due to my dear friend Lolamonster. It's old, I know, and I got it ages ago. But I have become a woman obsessed. It's amazing. Utterly amazing. Tragic, beautiful, passionate, melodramatic, gentle... it's just wonderful. Wonderful. I have trouble finding something else I want to listen to more, which is a sign of an addiction.

I have removed Snood from my computer, too, which has been a very very very good move.

I am very excited about the imminent return of Grey's Anatomy, although haven't managed to watch the newest House yet, which is poor, it must be said. Also will try The Office US style, and looking forward to the new Matthew Perry outing, Studio 60. Yay for dvr!!!!

1 comment:

Bob said...

I really got into The Charlatans on holiday - I had forgotten just how good 'Wonderland' is. It's genius!

Also got through The Valkyries and The Constant Gardener - have you seen the film of the latter? I'm ALWAYS a sucker for Ralph Fiennes.