Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Judging

There's a great bit in High Fidelity where the guys working in the shop all agree that it's far more important to judge someone on what they like as a measure of compatibility rather than what they are like as people. Because you can't really love someone whom you don't respect because they make idiotic music/film/book choices.

Of course, that is particularly true when it comes to blogs that you read about pop culture things. So when one of my hereto favourite bloggers utterly slates a book I adore and then says that one of the worst movies I have seen in a long time is great because of one of the worst depictions of a marriage/relationship that I have ever seen (it is utterly misogynistic - a whining, shrill, uptight and awful woman just holding back her lazy but charming and relaxed husband), it's time to consider breaking up with that blogger.

But I don't want to. Not yet. I'm clinging on for the good times - the good book recs I've received, the incisive and interesting writing about films. I'm not giving up just yet. But we're certainly going through a rocky patch.

No comments: