Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Lonesome tonight?

Well, yes and no. TOH is currently sat in JFK, waiting for his plane to land so he can jet off back home - yes, destroying the environment, but in a good cause, namely the wedding of two wonderful people (which, for various dull and infuriating reasons, I cannot attend). Therefore, for the third time in the past couple of months, I have the house to myself for a week.

It's not entirely a negative experience, and particularly with the impending thing-that-shall-not-be-named (three weeks and it'll be over! ulp!), I will be able to do what I want which hopefully will be late nights at the library and not having to be a social creature. I'm just interested in how this reflects my time as a teenager, when I cherished the time before Mum and Bro got home, but only so long as they got home at a reasonable time - if they were unexpectedly delayed, I panicked like mad. I'm like a toddler on those harness things - I love my freedom but only so long as there's someone there to rein me in if I go too far. Similarly, I need the comfort of someone here, even when I'm pottering / blogging / playing Scramble on facebook YET AGAIN. I also love just sitting in companionable silence, slumped either with a book or in front of a Mets game or our latest Wire episode.
Now, with the fat cats around, at least the house isn't empty. But still... I have to remind myself of the things of I can't do quite so much if he's around:
  • Unfettered eating of aubergine, courgettes, and general vegetarianness (having said that, tonight's meal does indeed include aubergine but hot spicy sausage, too)
  • Watching of not-so-hot tv - unlimited Law & Order (it's revision for that-which-shall-not-be-named is how I'm justifying it), Bones, the OC repeats, plus good tv, too - Six Feet Under being my current series, and I cannot wait for the new Doctor Who on Friday (new as in for Sci-Fi - which is about 4 episodes behind, I think)
  • Starfishing on the bed
It's not quite the same.

No comments: