Friday, April 13, 2007

So Far From Me

I had one of those flashes of inspiration this morning that really isn't, in fact, original or anywhere near approaching genius. Namely, listening to an old compilation album I haven't heard for a while, I "realised" (and this is an epiphany, folks) that the Neptunes are absolute fricking genius producers. Truly extraordinary. They're not as dominant as they once were, but nonetheless, they had an unbelievable run. Admittedly, they've done some pants stuff too, but that's by the by. In terms of stuff that makes you want to shake your behind, that makes you feel that there is no way you cannot be on the floor right now... there was no one better.

Anyway, once I'd realised that in fact this is not a novel concept, I started thinking about the patterns of producers' success. For example, where is Nellee Hooper or David Arnold these days? Why is it all about Mark Ronson right now? This I find interesting simply because creativity is not something I find I understand. I don't get its waves and troughs; nor how it appears to be "used up" - why do you suddenly run out of ideas? This is all mainly because, regardless of the intellectual strengths I may have, creativity is not one of them. I am good at solving others' puzzles, but I couldn't set a crossword (incidentally, I am on the verge of completing an entire crossword, just three clues to go for Quantum's this week - it appears that practice really is necessary but the knack comes back despite lack of use).

Nonetheless, I really feel my cognitive processes have changed for the sharper and better at law school (although maybe not for the more left-wing or moral, but that's another story). I think "better" in terms of linking things together, being able to argue or critique another's argument. But, alas, I'm still not about to write that bestseller--although of course the world is crying out for a female John Grisham, with a thrusting young lawyer falling into all sorts of trouble... hmm... maybe that's the way to make my fortune.

When The Neptunes Ruled The World
  • Like I Love You - JT
  • I'm a Slave 4 U - The Spears
  • Girlfriend (remix) - *N-sync (or however they blooming well punctuate that)
  • Good Stuff - Kelis
  • Milkshake - Kelis
  • Got Your Money - ODB
  • Light Your Ass on Fire - Busta Rhymes
  • Signs - Snoop Dogg
  • Beautiful - Snoop Dogg
  • Hollaback Girl - Gwen Stefani
  • Last Night - JT
  • SeƱorita - JT
  • Lap Dance - N*E*R*D feat. Lee Harvey
  • Boys - The Spears
  • Shake Ya Ass - Mystikal - shame he's a nasty piece of work. No more love for you, Mystikal.
  • Frontin' - Pharrell
  • I Just Wanna Love You (Give it to me) - Jay-Z
  • Blaze of Glory - Clipse
You see? That's some some shaking material there.

No comments: