Monday, October 18, 2010

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Or, for me, the second most. I'm a big, big fan of spring, the joys of which I am severely deprived of in NYC. We have about 3 weeks of it, and then everything suddenly accelerates and we're sweating away in humidity and summer. Whereas I've always loved the blossoming of the magnolias, the emergence of crocuses and daffodils and hyacinths all things springlike. It fills me with joy and hope for the summer to come.

But I do still enjoy things autumnal and, right now, autumnal vegetables. The reemergence of roots and tubers is what excites me - far more than squashes, in fact. It's celeriac and parsnips and turnips appearing that has made me salivate. For goodness' sake, I even craved cabbage today, and so supper was a portabella mushroom burger with cabbage stir-fried with garlic and a turnip-parsnip mash spiked with horseradish. And it was goooooooood.

No comments: