Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Let's Go, Paw Sox

This weekend was spent in the Ocean State - Rhode Island. It was pretty gloomy weather on Sunday, but Saturday was glorious. Friday night had seen clear skies for our Perseid meteor watching on the beach just east of Newport, and we took advantage of Saturday's sunny evening to watch the Pawtucket Red Sox take on the Buffalo Bisons. This was minor league baseball one level below the Major League, and so we got to see a couple of the Red Sox major leaguers rehabbing - Dustin Pedroia (MVP two years ago and star of an advert that sadly made TOH and I laugh far more than it probably should have done), Jeremy Hermida and, much to my delight, one of my favourite former Mets, Carlos Delgado, 37th on the all-time home run list and the leading Puerto Rican for homers and rbis. And, more importantly, the five-time recipient of the "Which Met Would You Most Like to Hug?" award from both TOH and me.

Sunday was then spent sleeping in, scrambling on a 5.5 mile hike (knee held up pretty bloody well given the terrain) and then fresh yummy seafood by the beach before an early night for my ungodly early train back to the smoke on Monday morning.

I didn't take as many photos as I'd have liked - I think the hike will be glorious in the spring with flowers in bloom, and then hopefully we'll go back for a comparison. But here are a couple (or, in fact, ten) of the highlights...

PAWSOX



SUNDAY








No comments: