Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Air on a G String

That surely would require putting a Snoop Dogg tune in for song of the year, yes?

But that's not going to happen. This Songs of the Year* may feature many of the artists from the previous "Albums of the Year," but I will try to diversify. No guarantees, mind.

  1. All My Friends - LCD Soundsystem. It defined this year for me in a way that nothing else has even tried, really. It was utterly glorious both times we saw them live, and it sends chills up my spine just thinking about it. Love it.
  2. Keep the Car Running - Arcade Fire. Another spinetingler... and live it was utterly amazing.
  3. Body Baby - Pharaohe Monch. Fun, dirty, and very gnarls barkley-ish - which is only a good thing in my mind.
  4. The Beat That My Heart Skipped - Dan Le Sac v. Scroobius Pip (or whatever the hell they were). It's funny, and the line "good gosh gracious and other such phrases" has entered the domestic lexicon.
  5. Song 4 Mutya (Out of Control) - Groove Armada. It's funny, self-deprecating and a diss to the now very annoying sugababes - sweet!
  6. Bitter Sweet Love - Kyza. The whole album's excellent, but I love this the most.
  7. 20 Dollar - M.I.A. Because any sample of the pixies is grand, and this was brilliant, and is my favourite off the album.
  8. Merrymaking at My House - Calvin Harris. The album's pretty repetitive, but I just really enjoyed this.
  9. Hustler - Simian Mobile Disco. Because if I had the money, I WOULD go to the record store. I would. Just ask the other half.
  10. Someone Great - LCD. Because it's gorgeous and sad and shows just why LCD are so much better than anyone else.

Here, far less importantly, is what someone else thought.

No comments: