Friday, February 14, 2020

Nourishing

Gestational diabetes is a shitty thing. I'm really lucky to have great insurance and access to a wonderful doctor, so I'm in a good position. I was diagnosed at 31 weeks, not the 8 weeks that a neighbour got hit with. And diabetes has a lot of emotional resonance from the way my mum struggled with Type II Diabetes for a lot of her adult life.

Nonetheless, I have been able to treat it as a little bit of an experiment - what spikes my blood sugar (oatmeal, bread, alas), what works (POTATOES I LOVE YOU I KNEW THERE WAS A REASON I HAVE ALWAYS CHOSEN YOU*), and a whole new world of snacks and recipes. Things I've learned:

  • Triscuits are awesome. Specifically, the rosemary and olive oil ones (but shout out to the black pepper ones, too). The plain ones are like eating shredded wheat. Which is not bad, but not what I want in a snack.
  • Unsurprisingly, I have really, really, really enjoyed putting avocado or sour cream on everything to make sure I get enough fat to keep my blood sugar down.
    • Side note: eat full fat! Full fat sour cream. Full fat mayo. Full fat cream cheese. JOY.
  • My aim to reduce waste has been hit by my need for cheese strings and KIND bars, but these things have been necessary to my survival.
  • KIND bars are... good? Mostly? Sometimes they are a struggle, but I generally like them. I've been allowed the nuts and spice variety. They're all pretty decent.
  • This kale and sausage "lasagne" is delicious.
  • Beyond Meat stuff is... pretty good. As are Alexia frozen rosemary & garlic & olive oil potato wedges.
  • Blanched cauliflower lightly mashed with cream and black pepper is perfection.

Also: the placenta is an incredible thing that people don't really understand. One thing we do know is that it seems to bugger up insulin reception and so that's why people get gestational diabetes. There's a really big effort to understand it underway, which sounds like it's not before time...

* A question that will get you surprisingly high mileage in life: If you could have only one starch/carb for the rest of your life, would you choose 1) potatoes; 2) bread; 3) pasta; 4) rice; 5) another one that you can think of. And, for me, the answer is potatoes. Always. Even though I really, really, really want a baguette and a pizza. Anyway, tell them you heard it here first.

No comments: