Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Poco a Poco

There's a lot of guff spouted about yoga's ability to teach you patience and the value of regular practice to achieve a goal.

And yet, and yet. This morning I achieved, for the first time ever, a full fixed firm pose.* This is the pose that I've had the most success in - as in, the pose in which I've made the most rapid improvement. The sense of exhilaration that went through me as I got my shoulders on the floor was, I'm sure, entirely un-yogic ("I am the Serenest"!), but it is a nice balance to my complete lack of, well, balance. Actually, that's not true. I'm slowly getting a little better at locking my legs for the balancing poses, and my balancing stick is mucho mejor now. Those are always humbling, but it's nice to get a bit of reward and see real progress.

Still, it'll be a while before I join these ranks.

* Sweet zeus, please ignore the hippie stuff. I just wanted you to see the pic of what it looks like if you're not, like, a total yogini.

No comments: