Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sunday Selector

This is what I'm now going to call my random rules posts. Those observant readers will gather that I plan to do this on Sundays, particularly when I am at work. Because I hate being at work on Sundays. But the same thing applies: ten songs at random from the Pod of i.

What this list cannot feature are the new bands with whom I am obsessed. I have started using myspace again because I can access these bands before the stuff is released, and it is fantastically useful. Not least because I read columsn raving about Lady Gaga and listened and didn't like it, whereas am still utterly obsessed after many listens to Little Boots (who I am going to see on Feb 6 which makes me very happy), The Invisible (how could I not love London Girl?) and Grand National (I really have been unable to stop listening and will be doing some purchasing tonight), plus an honourable mention to La Roux, whose site is slightly annoying but I like the tunes.
  1. The Party - Justice. Not my favourite from the album, and the vocals really do remind me of a cross between Avenue D and Hustler by Simian Mobile Disco (also touring, cannot wait to see them in April). But I like the bassline when it gets started...
  2. The Pills Won't Help You Know - The Chemical Brothers. Hmm, I'm not too keen on this or, indeed, this whole album. I have quite a few friends who really got into it, and loved it live, but I'm just not sure about it. Nothing they do can ever, for me, compete with Life is Sweet, which is one of my favourite songs ever, and the whole first and second albums, really. But it's still pretty good, and some of the songs from the previous album wormed their way into my heads so that I do really like them.
  3. 21st Century Life - Sam Sparro. This was from an album from 2008 that I really did enjoy, seeing as it sort of covered the same territory as Multiply by Jamie Lidell and Jim was disappointing in its straight-up soul (even though I did quite like it). Nothing on the Sam Sparro stood up to the glories of Black and Gold, but it is definitely enjoyable.
  4. Public Enemy - A Tribe Called Quest. This is from the first album, which is the one I've probably listened to the least. My big loves are Midnight Marauders and The Low-End Theory. But the Tribe is the Tribe, and I can basically listen to Q-Tip rap anything, such is my love for him. When people claim Lil Wayne is the greatest rapper alive it really does astound me when you have smarter, funnier and better ones in abundance.
  5. The Update - The Beastie Boys. I really still like Ill Communication, although the first half really is superior to the second. Apparently they're releasing a special twentieth anniversary edition of Paul's Boutique, which means that it's a scarily long time that they've been making music. I think they really have lost it, but they produced a succession of albums - Paul's Boutique, Ill Communication and Hello, Nasty - that I love. Particularly once they dropped the homophobia and the general misogyny from the early stuff, although Girls is a genius song. Can't help but stomp around to it.
  6. Tonight - Richard Hawley. I love, love, love this song. Cole's Corner, the album it's from, is utterly gorgeous from start to end, but this is one of three songs (the others being Coles Corner and The Ocean) that are truly special. The longing, misery and melancholy resonate throughout these songs and elevate them above anything else he's done. The hairs on my neck stand up every time I hear the guitar on this.
  7. Bryn - Vampire Weekend. This album was so highly rated last year, and I do like it - it's good to play when you have people over, and I've heard it most at other people's houses. But I find I rarely listen to it on my own, which I think tells me something about how much I really like it.
  8. Hometown Waltz - Rufus Wainwright. I love Rufus so, and this album, Want Two, is my favourite of his - the range of the music, and the sheer wondrousness of The Art Teacher and The Gay Messiah make it for me. His lyrics make me laugh and somehow infuse situations with humour, longing and wistfulness as well as sharp and harsh critiques, like this of Ontario.
  9. Cigarettes and Coffee - Otis Redding. Who on earth doesn't love Otis? Seriously? The man is a genius, and this is glorious, like basically everything he ever did. The production is gorgeous, the emotion in his voice that isn't overwrought but just pitched right... sigh.
  10. Jupiter (The Planet Suite) - Holst. During the last year of law school I started listening to classic music far more, as I found I am much more productive with that than pop music, and it was also a change from the electronic music (and MC Solaar) that I have been using to work to since I was 18. This is a result of that... Not my favourite at all, but not too intrusive.

No comments: