Saturday, January 26, 2013

Breakfasting Differently

Recently I've been eating a rather incredible number of eggs for breakfast.  I love love love boiled eggs for breakfast - hard or soft-boiled, I will eat them any old way.  Those plus a banana and I'm set until lunch.  But I am a teeny bit concerned that I may turn into one, so recently I toyed with the idea of breakfasting differently and varying it up a little.  On my google reader, I'm subscribed to posts from Skinny Taste, which has great slow cooker recipes with lower calories/fat etc. for when I'm trying to be a bit more careful about how much I take in - so that, for example, I can stuff my face with disgracefully great buttery eggs and mushrooms for breakfast, as I'm about to do, with complete abandon (and added butter). 

So when I saw a recipe on Skinny Taste for overnight oats, I got very excited - I have also had a lot of very early mornings due to work, and given how little I like getting up early, it's good to have something prepared the night before.  You combine oats/milk/nuts/fruit in a jar, leave it overnight, and you have breakfast, apparently.  I got ready to do that last week and realised that I had absolutely no oats.  Oops.  Rather than going out late night, though, on a mission for oats, I did note that we had quinoa indoors, and through some chain of thought I can't quite recreate, found this recipe for breakfast quinoa.  I didn't follow this recipe exactly, though, as I'm not a massive fan of cinnamon or apples.  So I mixed it up a bit: used unsweetened almond & coconut milk instead of cow's milk, warmed up frozen blueberries and put those and a chopped banana in, and used a couple of teaspoons of dried cranberries (I still can't bring myself to call them craisins, I have to say), a teaspoon of sunflower seeds and a teaspoon of flaxseeds.  So it's pretty nutritious, filling, and a healthy portion of whole grains, good oils, good protein, and fruit as well.  Which for me is not something that happens that often. 

It's not necessarily that pretty, for sure, but it's good.  And The Other Half did not hate it, which he is primed to on principle.  So it must be ok. 

No comments: