Monday, June 19, 2006

El Dia del Padre

Yesterday was Father's Day, apparently all around the world (well, at least in Argentina, Costa Rica, Colombia, the UK and the US), so a quick shout out to mi papi, with whom I got to have a very nice albeit curtailed conversation and who enabled me to get the camera with which I am trying to put photos on this website. Not working thus far.

The weekend basically consisted of me being a homebody. I´ve still not been into the centre of town, but am hoping to do so soon, although maybe for the first time to catch the bus to the playa, which is what I´m planning for next weekend. Huzzah!

I spent yesterday with Mayela and Ricardo´s family, and watched many many many crapola movies - 1) The Next Karate Kid, 2) Cats and Dogs, 3) Harry Potter II and a bit of 4) Hija de la Luz. My assessment was thus 1) ohmylord I cannot believe JUST how bad the movie was. Mr Miyagi, what were you thinking? The monks coming to see her off for her first dance, the authorized fight between Hillary and the tough guy, the healing of the hawk? Only good things in this movie were the "Wax on, Wax off" references (which don´t work in Spanish - somehow "Cera, Quita" doesn´t quite cut it) and the bowl-off between the monks and the sweaty nylon-shirted louts. And that´s pushing the definition of "good". 2) Only thing I can say is "Creo que no, perro bebe". 3) BAD BAD BAD. I hate what they´ve done with Hermione, it´s just WRONG. But Ken Branagh was wonderfully camp. 4) TERRIBLE. TERRIBLE. which is why I watched HP instead.

No comments: